Sunday, February 14, 2010

what if America didn't have firework laws?

Chinese New Year's Eve... I didn't really know what to expect. But then I was woke up at 7 am by fireworks, and for the rest of the day, it continued. It sounded like we were getting shot at, like a war zone. I knew it was going to be a memorable night.

So later that day we headed downtown...

The city was dead.

All we could hear was the 360 degree fireworks show that was happening around us...

Every direction you looked there were huge fireworks going off.

Adam and Kylie and I were going to dinner downtown to meet Steve. Steve is a 55 year old British man who teaches at my school. He was bringing some of his friends, whom I have never met, but was assuming were interesting people...

Steves friends included Octavio age 35? from LA, Alberto age 40? from Italy, and Tom, age 33 from Australia. I think you can imagine how strange the conversation was.

But we got fancy bottles of Snow. And we had the whole restaurant to ourselves.

We don't hang out downtown unless it is to eat McDonald's or shop. We know nothing about downtown Qinhuangdao after daylight. But after dinner we met at a cool bar that apparently all the foreigners go to. We also didn't know we had other foreigners until a few months ago, so we are learning all kinds of things about QHD.

We went to this place and met up with some more people that I did not know.

I know them.

There was a stage that was not being put to its potential.

And seeing as how Kylie and I were the ONLY girls, we became the entertainment.

And at midnight we all ran outside and... KISSED. Just kidding, they don't do that here.

We all went outside to watch the fireworks. It was even bigger at midnight!

It ended up being a very... interesting night, but I survived my first Chinese New Year...

However, I woke up this morning again at 7 am by the sound of fireworks, and it hasn't stopped yet.....

Happy Chinese New Year!

xoxo

No comments: